Ginger-Lime Steamed Salmon
I have had a busy couple of weeks at work – no one would know there was a downturn in the Valley right now because I have been chained to my desk (which explains my blogging absence). Luckily for me, I have a hubby who is good in the kitchen, otherwise I would be stuck with soup and frozen enchiladas for dinner each night thanks to my current schedule.
He asked me to choose a recipe, and then he went to the store and made me dinner. I was inspired by a recent yumsugar recipe for Lime Ginger Steamed Salmon. He altered it just a little and it was a perfect weeknight fish meal! The acidity of the lime really cuts the gaminess of the salmon. It also paired well with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Spyglass (lime, ginger and grass make a heavenly combination).
GINGER LIME STEAMED SALMON
1 1/2 limes
2 6-oz Salmon fillets, about 1 inch thick
1/8 teaspoon ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 cups trimmed baby (small) green beans
Lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Grate 2 teaspoons lime zest; set aside. Thinly slice limes. Place the fish in a single layer in an oven safe bag (we cheated and picked up the salmon from Trader Joes that comes in an oven safe bag). Lay lime slices evenly on top of the fish.
- Stir ginger, lime zest, salt, and pepper into sesame oil; brush generously over fish.
- Carefully seal bag and place on a cookie sheet in oven and cook for 12 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking, steam green beans according to the manufacturer’s directions (once again we cheated and used a Trader Joes bag of green beans that can be steamed in the microwave – when life is busy there is no shame in taking shortcuts)
- Let fish stand 1 minute.
- Plate fish with green beans. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
More About Salmon:
- Fun Alton Brown salmon fact: Over 150 million pounds of salmon is consumed annually in the United States (and that is not including canned salmon).
- Extra benefits – Salmon is a superfood thanks to its omega 3 fatty acids, so enjoy this low calorie meal with the added benefit of glowing skin, strong nails and healthy hair.