The soy bean is miracle bean from which many things are made: oils, soap, plastics, inks, solvents, biodiesel, cosmetics and crayons; but more importantly, tofu, milk, cheese, flour, edamame, nuts, miso, tempeh, and soy sauce. Soy is also a great inexpensive, high-quality vegetarian source of protein. However, overconsumption of soy has been linked by some to thyroid issues and estrogen-sensitive breast tumors. So as with everything, eat in moderation!
Why is soy a superfood? Because it lowers risk of heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis thanks to the following:
- Phytoestrogens (isoflavones)
- Plant derived Omega-3’s
- High quality non-meat protein
- Potassium, folate, magnesium, selenium
Two things you might not know about soy:
- It is recommended that you change the water of your tofu daily! (opened soy of course)
- Tofu can be host to salmonella…so clean those work surfaces!